Islamic Date21 Ṣafar
English Date20 October
After Parents' Death
Rasul Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: “Good behaviour towards parents by which one can be courteous to them after their demise are to pray namaz-e-janaza upon them, make dua of forgiveness for them, fulfill their religious bequests, maintain relationship with those relatives linked through them and honour their friends. [Abu Daud] “Charity on their behalf after their death (also) earns reward for them.” [Muslim]
Often we realize the value of something only after it is gone. Allah (subhana wa ta’ala) in His Infinite Grace has provided for us a means to make amends even as late as after the person has already died. This hadith tells us how we can be dutiful to our parents after their death, thereby accruing rewards for both them and ourselves. These ways are:
1. Pray namz-e-janaza for them.
2. Pray to Allah (subhana wa ta’ala) to forgive them.
3. If they had decided to do some religious good e.g. Hajj or nafl fasts or charitable work, then fulfill it on their behalf.
4. Be kind to those relatives who are linked to us through them.
5. Honour their friends.
6. Give charity on their behalf.
Instead of wailing over our parents, if we truly love them then we should do good deeds ourselves. This is because we are sadaqa jaariya for our parents and they are rewarded for our righteousness.